Materials Engineering Research Group
The Materials Engineering Research Group is one of the largest in the UK with some 40 academics, researchers and support staff. Our core research themes focus on fabrication, residual stress analysis and high temperature performance of metals and structures. Diverse external income streams and broad networks in industry and academia underpin our work.
The Materials Engineering Research Group has modern mechanical testing and materials characterization laboratories, including an electron microscopy suite (SEM, FEGSEM, TEM), two X-ray diffractometers and a nanoindenter. Specialist capabilities comprise a new large component Contour residual stress measurement facility, a refurbished creep laboratory and a diffusion bonding autoclave.
Materials Engineering Research Group Key Facts
- Very strong links with industry.
- 100 per cent record of employment of students on completion of their PhD.
- 90 per cent of our research ranked as being of international quality.
- Large research group of 40 students, researchers and academics.
- Excellent opportunities for work at international facilities.